Banks are not necessarily your best, first financing option.
Webinar on funding for entrepreneurs
Before considering approaching any bank, know exactly how much and the kind of funding you really need. Be sure to evaluate the other options and what each will actually want from you to increase your chances for funding.
Wednesday, June 16, 2021 via ZOOM
Attendance to webinar and networking afterwards are free but you must register to attend
$10 donations are welcome but not required.
What you can expect
Keynote and panel discussion
Listen to the Carolyn Katz, who helps lead SCORE’s Funding Group, and four different lenders – a CDFI, credit union, crowd funder and traditional lender – talk about the funding process. In just 90 minutes, learn how to answer these key questions:
- Do you really need a loan?
- Are you asking and answering the right questions?
- Are you looking in the right places?
- What is right for you?
Face to face meetings with lenders
Meet the lenders after the presentations in small virtual breakout rooms. There will be separate rooms for startups and existing businesses. You can choose to attend one or both. Get answers to your specific questions and find out what next steps to take.
Meet the speakers
Carolyn Katz was formerly a banker, a venture capital investor and consultant specializing in media, tech and communication companies; founder of an ePublishing / eCommerce company. She is an expert in financing, preparation of pitch and investor materials, strategy and operations, business plans, financial projections and models. A SCORE mentor, she leads workshops on pricing and funding strategies and the Funding Group; and co-authors its weekly Business Digest newsletter.
Listen to a panel discussion with five lenders talking about what they actually look for when they make funding decisions – it may not be what you thought. Increase your chances for getting the financing your business really needs. Lender panelists include:
- Accompany Capital. offers microloans, small business loan and credit-building loans ranging from $500 to $250,000.
- Brooklyn Cooperative. Whether it is a loan to purchase inventory, update your equipment, pay accounts receivable, or manage your debt, Brooklyn Cooperative offers loans ranging from $500 to $50,000.
- Kiva crowdfunds loans for borrowers who are either financially excluded or creating social impact in their communities.
- Mainvest is an investment platform that connects brick and mortar businesses with investors. Investors provide funds to small businesses looking to launch or expand in return for a share of revenues.
- NAV uses technology to offer more user-friendly financial services to small businesses: business loans, SBA loans, microloans and lines of credit.
Meet with a SCORE mentor before the webinar (2:00-3:30pm)
SCORE mentors with expertise in business planning and financing will be available to meet with you 2:00-3:30pm before the webinar starts. Find out how much clarity mentors can bring to your business challenges. Sign up for a session before they are all gone.
Sign up for post-webinar networking (6:15-7:15pm)
This fun, casual and lightly structured networking session will be moderated by Rebecca Maxwell, co-founder of Asentiv New York and founder of Conversations & Connections. Participants meet in small virtual rooms and get a chance to chat, connect and build relationships that will help you and your business.
Register for this virtual conference
You will get the link to your webinar in your confirmation email after your register.Links to the networking session will be emailed separately.