Directory FAQs – Creating A Business Listing
1. What is the purpose of this directory?
This directory was created to advance New York Women in Business’ goal to support women entrepreneurs. Listing will make it easier for women-owned businesses to find each other and post requests for help with staffing, resources, and opportunities for partnerships or collaborations.
2. What are the requirements for registering on the directory?
Anyone can register and create a profile. However, only businesses owned by women (51%+) and in business at least a year can be listed in the directory or post job listings. Businesses who don’t meet this criteria may be removed after the fact.
3. Who sees the listings?
Everyone who has registered in the directory will see business and job listings
Creating An Account
1. How do I create an account?
Click on “SIGN UP” at the top of the page (next to LOG IN). Make sure you type in your email address correctly and create a STRONG password. The system will only register you if your password is strong enough and if you have completed CAPTCHA successfully.
2. Who sees my account profile?
Only you and the site administrators will be able to see your account details.
Listing Your Business
1. How do I list my business?
· CREATE AN ACCOUNT
If you don’t already have an account, set one up by clicking on “SIGN UP” at the top of the page (next to LOG IN). Make sure you type in your email address correctly and create a STRONG password. The system will only register you if your password is strong enough and if you have completed CAPTCHA successfully.
· CREATE A LISTING
Once you have an account and you’re logged in, select “List a Business” from the top of your user profile page, or click on the BUSINESS DIRECTORY at the top of the page and then click “List a Business.”
A blank form will appear. Under “Contact Info” fill in your first name, last name, title (such as Ms. or Dr.), email address, and phone number.
Under “Business Details” fill in the business name and description. For location, the options are Bronx, Brooklyn, Connecticut, Long Island, Manhattan, New Jersey, Queens, Staten Island, and Other. If you choose “Other” a second box appears that allows you to type in a location that wasn’t on the list.
For Category, there are many categories and subcategories. You can choose more than one category and/or subcategory; click in the category field again and the list appears again for you to choose another. You may also choose the category “Other”; when you do that, a field appears below that allow you to type in your category that is not in the list.
Enter your ZIP code, your website URL, and your social media URL. The web addresses for your website and your social media must begin with either “http://” or “https://”. Please double check that you have typed in your URL correctly.
· UPLOAD AN IMAGE
Click “Browse” to select a logo or profile image from the files on your computer or phone. The system will accept .jpg, .gif, and .png files. The ideal image size is 272 x 150 pixels. When you find the image you want to use, click on it, and then click “Open.” Other sizes will also be accepted but it may be shown truncated. You can use Canva or any other photo-editing tool to resize your image.
· CLICK CREATE
When you’ve filled in at least the minimum required fields (those that have red stars) and you’re ready to proceed, click “Create Business Directory Entry.”
If you have completed all the steps correctly, you will receive a confirmation email to verify your registration.
· CHECK THE VERIFICATION EMAIL
If all the information in the is correct, click the link that reads “click here to verify.” You will be taken back to the system where you will see a message that explains that your business was added to the directory. You can click on “BUSINESS DIRECTORY” at the top of the screen to see your listing. You can also click on “YOUR PROFILE,” find the business listing, and click “View,” which takes you directly to the listing.
2. What if I see errors in the verification email?
If you received the verification email and you see errors, click the link that reads “click here to correct them.” It will take you back to your business listing form. You can change whatever you want.
You have two choices:
1) You can choose “Save Changes,” which means that the system will save your new information, but your listing will not appear yet in the directory. You must go to “Your Profile” and choose “Verify” to make the listing appear in the business directory.
2) If you choose “Save Changes and Verify,” your information will be saved and it will appear immediately in the directory.
3. What happens if I don’t get this verification email?
· It can sometimes take as much as 15 minutes for the email to arrive. If you still don’t see it, check your spam or bulk or junk folders to see if the email is there.
· It may also be that you entered the wrong email address when you created your profile. If you are sure that you have done everything correctly go to YOUR PROFILE to view and edit your profile